Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 351

Today's song is...


Another First Kiss


I know a lot of TMBG fans that really dislike this song and I've never gotten that, because it's a beautiful song. When I first played TMBG for my mom, this was the only song she really liked. I like some of the lyrics in the original First Kiss (which I had stuck in my head the other day) but I am so glad they manifested into this slower, prettier version. TMBG have virtually no love songs in their repertoire, but the few they do have I really like. "But we've run out of things to say and we'll be happy anyway" is a terribly romantic lyric. I don't need the romance from this band. There are plenty of other band's I can listen to for love songs. But it's so nice that they have just a few. Because sometimes you just need a love song from your favorite band.

2 comments:

  1. People don't like this song?! What is WRONG with you people! As much as I like "First Kiss," I love this so much more. It's ten times prettier, and ten times more sincere. This song is like a little hug. If Flans wants to write straight-up love songs (which, incidentally, is the name of my first album: "Straight-Up Love Songs") every so often, then so be it! I like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! It is nice to have at least a few love songs by one's favorite band. Even if it's not their usual style, TMBG excel at writing in a variety of styles and love songs are no exception. And departures from the usual can be exciting. Another First Kiss is very sincere and sweet, both lyrically and melodically. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. It's one of my favorite Flansburgh songs, actually, and I didn't know it was unpopular among many fans either. What _is_ wrong with those people?

    ReplyDelete