Friday, September 10, 2010

#2 - Confetti

It is kind of ridiculous how excited I get over tiny pieces of colored paper. There is pretty much nothing than makes me happier than getting completely drowned by the confetti cannon. I'm as bad as the little kids at the family shows after the cannon goes off, scooping up handfuls of the stuff. And it gets everywhere. I usually have my hoodie on at shows and regularly find both the hood and pockets are loaded if I've been standing under the blizzard cannon. After the New Year's show I found confetti stuck to my skin in the shower the next morning. Now that's the sign of a good night!

I have at least a few pieces of confetti from every show I've attended (that had the cannons anyway). Some is stuffed in my foam fingers, most is stored in an ever increasing number of plastic bags. I've got every color of paper plus several types of small metallic confetti and multiple different shapes including stars, moons and my very favorite: pick elephants. There is confetti on the floor of my room, confetti in my car, wet pieces of confetti welded to the bottom of my shoes. I actually make a point of leaving confetti anywhere I find it, so it's there to make me smile when I discover it. I leave pieces in the pockets of my hoodie to give it a more authentic feel and I always have to remember to clean them out before I wash it.

I've seen some epic confetti launches. From Celebrate Brooklyn where they launched the cannons four times, to Ithaca where they debuted the blizzard cannon and dumped 50 lbs of the stuff into the audience (it was ankle deep in the theater). There was the magic confetti at Lupo's that hung in the air forever with the band frozen on stage during Older for what seemed like several minutes and then pieces continued to fall from nowhere throughout the show. I have a hilarious mental image of Flansburgh chasing after a single piece of confetti in Charlotte like he was chasing a butterfly. There have been a few pretty epic cannon fails too, where giant clumps just dumped on a single individual's head or just remained in the cannon. There was the family show in Chicago where the left cannon flunked and Danny proceeded to reach into in and pull out gobs of confetti to toss at the kids. And I love how, even at shows without the cannons a single pieces of two will float out of their equipment. I can only imagine how much confetti they must have stuck to all of their stuff.

This countdown is on the eve of being done and I am less than 24 hours away from my next show. It's outside so I don't know if there will be confetti but I know there is enough confetti in my future to make up for it if there isn't. I'll post the last entry in the countdown tomorrow morning before I leave. Can anyone guess what #1 might be?

TMBG 3/10/10 #6

No comments:

Post a Comment