Saturday, March 16, 2013

Song of the Day - Day 852

Today's song is...


The Darlings Of Lumberland

From early comments made about album 16, when it was still in production, this was the song I was most intrigued to hear. The comments Flans made about it made it sound really interesting. And it is. But not quite in the way I expected. I found the lyrics to be not at all what I expected, and I am not entirely enamored of them. I tend to shy away from the really creepy, grim stuff. On the other hand, the horn arrangement on this song is fricking phenomenal. Totally exceeded expectations. So many interwoven sounds and textures, and the variety of instruments, never quite completely blending together. I feel like every time I listen to it, I hear something new in the horn part, form the very high flute, down to the very low clarinet. Between this and Cloisonné, I believe Stan Harrison has proved himself to be a master at composing unique and engaging horn parts. I was so pleased to see the band gave him a writing credit on this one. It was highly deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment