Thursday, March 7, 2013

Song of the Day - Day 843

Today's song is...


Stone Cold Coup D'État

I admit that I am not as enamored of this song as most people I talk to seem to be. It's not that I don't like it, because I do, but several of my acquaintances are going ga-ga over it and I've even heard a few people say it is their favorite song on the album. I'll totally concede that it is one of the stronger tracks and one of the more traditional rock songs. I just wouldn't rank it so highly compared with other songs on the album. I really enjoy the word play in the lyrics. And it has a great bass part and drum/percussion part. Heck, there are even some awesome guitar riffs in there. But I can't help but be disturbed by the verse about the kids plotting to kill their parents. I know I shouldn't be as a) it's just a song, and b) it is hardly the first time a TMBG song has referenced killing one's parents. But I just find it unsettling enough that it affects my enjoyment of the song. I think maybe if that verse wasn't there, I would totally love it. Because I find most of the other lyrics fantastic. I'll probably get over it sooner or later. And I still hope this is one of the ones they pick to play live, because I think it is well suited to live performance. *crosses fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment