Sunday, November 25, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 741

Today's song is...


Canajoharie

My love of this song began early and was cultivated over hours and hours spent listening to muddy recordings of the early live performances, trying to determine the lyrics. There are a few songs, like this one, that hold a very special place in my heart because of the amount of time I have spent on them. It is kind of hard to explain but these songs feel like "mine" somehow.

There was a period of time when I had a video of every live performance that had yet been done. And I ran a very great risk of being disappointed with the recorded version after listening to it live so often. So imagine my delight when the recording was even better! The accordion bridge. That skippy guitarish sound that runs through the choruses. The fade out at the end that sounds like a tape running off it's reel. And my very favorite part is the way Linnell slurs over the line "exploded on the launching site" because I can perfectly picture how his head would tilt and his eyes would squint as he delivered it. Songs like this one, I feel like I could write a book about and then at the same time I can hardly write anything because I can't put my feelings into words. They are too strong. Suffice it to say I have a strong personal attachment and a lot of love for this tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment