Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 435

Today's song is...


The Songs Of The 50 States


This is one of my favorite State Songs and it's not even about a specific state. It's like the theme song for the album. I love how self referential it is. And I love the frenetic pace at which the lyrics proceed. And musically it is a lot more traditional than some of the other tracks on the album, though it does have the nice guest appearance by the bass clarinet. It does not come as a great surprise to me that some of my favorite State Songs are the ones that were basically recorded by the members of TMBG minus Flans, ie. this one and West Virginia. Not that I don't love some of the others. I think my musical ear just likes what it is familiar with and this feels familiar. It also feels like something children would sing at camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment