Friday, February 22, 2013

Ice Cream And Rock N Roll

March 8, 2012 - Calvin Theater - Northampton, MA

No show in Northampton is complete without a stop at Herrell's for ice cream. We went in shifts, holding the line for everyone else and gradually filling the trash can outside the Calvin with the evidence of TMBG fans love for ice cream.

I think I have watched every show I have seen at the Calvin from almost the exact same spot so I have this permanent vision of the stage from the right hand side. My concert buddy for this show was Miss Ella of Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child fame. Some of the most engaging pre-show conversation I have had, discussing the virtues of dragons over unicorns when it comes to superior magical creatures. What a seriously cool young lady :-)

JoCo setlist: Code Monkey - Sticking It To Myself - Big Bad World One - Still Alive - Je Suis Rick Springfield - I'm Your Moon - Shop Vac - Re: Your Brains - I Feel Fantastic

TMBG setlist: When Will You Die - Celebration - Birdhouse In Your Soul - Judy Is Your Viet Nam - Damn Good Times - Never Knew Love - The Guitar - Battle for the Planet of the Apes - Older - Old Pine Box - Snowball in Hell - Mr. Me - Ana Ng - S-E-X-X-Y - Careful What You Pack - Paranoid - Pandor Jingle - Spoiler Alert - Cloisonné - Withered Hope - We Live In A Dump - James K. Polk - The Mesopotamians - Fingertips Encore - How Can I Sing Like A Girl? - Can't Keep Johnny Down Encore 2 - Where Your Eyes Don't Go - Istanbul

Now, I have a confession to make. I remember virtually nothing from this show. Or nothing out of the ordinary. I have vague memories of making zombie noises in Re: Your Brains. I can remember chanting during the Battle for the Planet of the Apes. I kind of feel like my side lost. I think the Supreme Court made another appearance during the Avatars set. I know from the one video I could find that Linnell nicknamed someone Liquid Plumber, which I thought was one of the funnier nicknames I had heard. And that his band introduction featured him playing the keyboard with his elbows.

I was very excited to see Dan in his gray hat again. He wore it a lot when I was first was going to shows at LPR, but I hadn't seen it in years. It was very nostalgic.

My friends and I got it in our heads to attempt to execute the wave during When Will You Die. Since we pretty much completely took over the front row, the idea was for it to start on one end, sweep down to the other and then go back, at the point in the song where Flans yells "Kid Rock!" It didn't go that smoothly in this first attempt. But it was good practice. (Note: yes, we really are that goofy.)

I hope these pictures make up for my lack of actual show memories. And please, if you remember more than I, remind me in the comments. My amnesia where this run of shows is related is really frustrating!

TMBG 3/8/12 #1

TMBG 3/8/12 #2

TMBG 3/8/12 #6

Untitled

TMBG 3/8/12 #13

Untitled

Untitled

TMBG 3/8/12 #29

Untitled

Untitled

Mysteeeeeeeerious Whisper!

Untitled

Untitled

1 comment:

  1. Whoah, Flans has grown out his hair! And what a nice set list! I am sooo stoked for the Burlington show! I hope they play all my favorites :D :D I will miss JoCo though, I didn't know they were still playing together!

    Mmm.. Herrel's Ice Cream.... I remember that place. *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete