Monday, June 11, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 574

Today's song is...


Wearing A Raincoat


This is one of the many songs that I never spent a whole lot of time considering. Part of a massive and strong back catalog that I enjoy when I hear, but don't particularly think about when I am not listening to them. I think in this case, the rather non-sensical lyrics baffle my brain a little. I want to be able to logically follow all of the connections the Linnell creates but some of the them just aren't logical. But I had someone on Twitter tell me just a few days ago, that this was their very favorite song off The Spine, which surprised me. I don't think I had ever heard anyone express that sentiment before. And I find that very cool, because it supports my believe that for every song, there is someone out there who calls it their favorite (or at least their favorite on an album).

Personally, I think my favorite part of the song is the lyric "Sleeping is a gateway drug, to being awake, being awake again." It is just an unusual way to look at sleep and yet, oddly, very true.

This is one of the four songs played at what was probably the best soundcheck every performed, in Baltimore, in March. Totally random soundcheck, mostly Linnell just messing around because Flans hadn't arrived yet, and the result was two songs I had never heard live before, one I had only heard once and another very good one. And I have to admit, though I recognized the song and knew the lyrics as Linnell was singing them, I had to ask someone which song this one was. I just couldn't follow the lyrics through to the title in my head. Sadly, I still don't think I can count that as having heard it live, but it was pretty damn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment