Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 471

Today's song is...


Subliminal


It is my opinion that this is the best album opener in the entire TMBG catalog. The way it blares out with the accordion mashing and then comes in with that heavy guitar riff gives me chills every time I hear it. I love the way the drums pair with the handclaps and the way the bass pulls out of the mix right before each chorus. And the vocal rhythms at the end are fantastic. I once said that I would be OK with never getting to hear my favorite song live if they would just keep playing this song forever and I think that holds true. And somehow it makes it even better that they don't play it all time time. They pull it out just often enough to surprise me. I honestly don't think I had paid much attention to the song until the first time I heard it live, at LPR, when they opened the show with it and blew my mind. But I don't think I have ever been so surprised by it as I was at the TLA in September, where I believe Megan can attest to the audible squeal of delight that escaped me when they closed the main set with it. I'm pretty sure it was so obvious that members of the band noticed. I just wasn't expecting it at all. The best surprises come in Subliminal shaped packages :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment