Sunday, February 19, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 461

Today's song is...


Let Your Hair Hang Down


I have had multiple people tell me that this song is about me. (It's that whole thing with the pigtails I wear to shows.) I'm not crazy enough to actually think so, but I do think of it as sort of "my song". It really strikes a chord with me. The melody is pretty but what really makes the song stand out is the harmonies in the Johns voices. That slightly echoed effect they create with the vocals is stunning. And there are little phrases of the bass line I adore, like the one right after the word "caravan." The drums and guitar have some great phrases too but mostly I just love the whole package. And the lyrics hit me in a in a deeply personal way. If I am ever required to assign a song to represent each year of my life. This will be the one for last year. Now if only I could get the boys to play it live for me :-)

1 comment:

  1. I really didn't like this song when the album first came out, but I enjoy it a lot now. I especially like "when your hair's so long / when you look so sad" and the way Linnell's voice goes up at the end, it's pleasant.

    ReplyDelete