Monday, August 29, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 287

Today's song is...


The Shadow Government


This is one of my lesser favorite songs from my favorite album. I don't dislike it by any means, it's just much more middle of the pack than some of the others on the album. Actually, musically, I really enjoy it. I would consider this to be what I call the "requisite Flans rocker" on every album and in that category of songs this one is much closer to the top. The music has the gritty quality I so enjoy on The Else and its got a really thumpy rhythm track I really like. This song seems like it would be really fun to play for some reason. I think where it falls short for me is that I always group it with Working Undercover for the Man in my head, probably because of the similar themes. And I like the lyrics to that song better than this one. This one makes me think more of a guy on a bad drug trip convinced people are following him. However, I like the music to this one better. But they are both great songs and luckily I can have them both!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favoritist favorite songs from my favorite album. Some songs in my Top 25 drift in and out, but Shadow Government is always there. It's kinda like the Permanent Members of the Security Council of TMBG songs for me.

    It's interesting for me to consider how often John F. hits what you could loosely call "pulp" themes, which were frequently expressed in the earlier days with kinda of noir, alt-punk-meets-jazz-age sort of songs (still coming through in songs like Protagonist), but lately with a much more varied palette. And this rocker stands out for me because of the rhythm section work. The burn-out-your-clutch upshifts/downshifts pack a wallop. Love this song.

    ReplyDelete