Thursday, August 18, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 276

Today's song is...


I'm Your Boyfriend Now


This is one of my favorite amusing songs that makes smile when I listen to it. It's pretty darn clever the way the lyrics are constructed. But I was definitely surprised at how popular it was in general in the I'd Like This Song To Be Number One contest. I had no idea people liked it THAT much. I always particularly liked the way the aborted answering machine message turns into "Please leave a mess" because of course, the poor narrator is a mess. Someday I hope to include this on the mix I've always intended to make of songs that are actually about stalking, along with Every Breath You Take and One Way Or Another.

3 comments:

  1. I really, really like this song, but I always forget about it until it comes up on shuffle. It's a weirdly straightforward song for them. "I can hear it in your silence" is one of my favorite TMBG lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved this song since it was a demo on a podcast. It's one of the more convoluted JL narrators. I wish I liked the official recording as much as I liked the podcast one; maybe I'm just still not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song cracks me up. And it's very catchy. Only TMBG could write a sweet-sounding, light-hearted song about a nut-job stalker. I've always wondered if it was inspired by JL's experience being stalked by crazies. He seems to attract more than his fair share of those. No matter -- this one is definitely up there on my list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete