Monday, August 8, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 266

Today's song is...


Why Does The Sun Really Shine?





It is my opinion that it is Flansburgh's falsetto that makes this song work so very well. That and the almost angry fervor with which he performs it. "That thesis has been rendered invalid" is sung almost as an accusation. This is such a tongue in cheek jibe at themselves. "Forget that song. They got it wrong." I'm not sure they could have written a more perfect answer song. And they rhymed 'miasma' with 'plasma' which is just stellar. Plus the video is really amusing.

I heard so many different variations on the origin of this song, but my favorites were those Flansburgh told while Jon Altschuler was in the audience and given full credit for the idea. Discounting The Else preview show, where I did not yet know the band, the material or even what was new and what was old, this was the first new song I was (consciously) present for the premiere of. That, for me, was a very exciting experience.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one for the same reasons. "I forget what I was told by myself..." :-) . Nice.

    ReplyDelete