Sunday, August 21, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 279

Today's song is...


Mink Car

When I was taking that quiz thing where you have to name all the songs on all the TMBG albums in 15 minutes or whatever it is, I was totally embarrassed to realize that this was one of the songs I failed to name on Mink Car. Lame. 

This song has never been a particular favorite but I have good associations with it. There is that interview where the Johns mention that they actually wrote this one side by side at the piano and I've always enjoyed picturing that process. And I got to hear David Driver take lead vocals on it at LPR a couple of years ago, which was pretty spectacular. Also, going back to listen to it again, the arrangement is just beautiful. The piano and flugelhorn and bass and the triangle. Beautiful.
 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love Mink Car. It's another one of those songs that I routinely forget about until I'm listening to it. I like the description from TMBG Unlimited, where they say that Danny made everyone burst into tears with his beautiful bass-playing. Hmm. Maybe I should revisit that album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inherently relaxed nature of jazz chords and textures aren't what I come to TMBG for, and could take or leave this as a song standing alone. But man, I love the way it's just another beautiful tile in the bizarre mosaic that is the Mink Car album. I mean, what track precedes it? Older! What's next? Wicked Little Critta!! What a great insane album.

    ReplyDelete