Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bottom Of The Heap

I know, I know. Late again. I'm sorry.

Apologies if this entry is a bit of a downer. Though I try to keep the personal life stuff off this blog for the most part, I will say that I have been pretty down in the dumps lately. This is not proving to be a great summer for me. If I can offer you a piece of advice: don't grow up. Being an adult is highly overrated. My usual antidote to an emotional slump is a TMBG show but since I am still two months away from my next one I'm going to rely on the rockin' combination of Jonathan Coulton and Marty Beller to pulls me out of the doldrums this week. Come on boys, don't let me down!

This week's somewhat dreary topic, because I honestly couldn't think of anything else, is my 10 least favorite TMBG songs. I should clarify that I don't hate any of these. I don't think there are any TMBG songs that I truly dislike. These are just the very bottom of the list for me. I'm not in the habit of skipping songs when I listen to an album so I do still listen to these songs fairly regularly. But they haven't made it onto any of my TMBG mix CDs that I typically listen to in the car. I think I am afraid to completely eliminate any song from rotation for fear that it will eventually grow on me. It has happened with plenty of other songs and I don't want to deny any song the chance the chance to become a favorite. But for today these are the bottom of the heap.

My 10 Least Favorite TMBG Songs

10. Bee of the Bird of the Moth - Hey, it's my favorite of my least favorites. Does that count for anything? I highly suspect that I will grow to love this song one day. It just hasn't happened yet.

9. S-E-X-X-Y - This is probably more a case of indifference that anything else.

8. Stompbox - This is just a little too dark even for me. But since I can never understand the lyrics anyway it doesn't bother me that much.

7. E Eats Everything - I actually quite like the lyrics. I think it is the spoken word aspect that I don't enjoy.

6. John Lee Supertaster - In the right circumstances I can enjoy this song but it has to just the right circumstances.

5. Mr. Excitement - I just don't like rap. Sorry.

4. Employee of the Month - Huh? I just don't get it.

3. You'll Miss Me - I actually don't mind the demo tape version of this song but the one on the album is a little too abrasive.

2. I've Got A Fang - This creeps me out. Between the weird voice and the weird lyrics it just gives me the willies.

1. She Thinks She's Edith Head - This song rubbed me the wrong way from the get go. It is always my first response when someone asks me about songs I don't like. I can't even say what it is that bothers me. Secretly however, I sort of suspect that maybe I don't dislike it as much as I think I do and that someday it will suddenly vanish from this list entirely.


There we go. I promise a more cheerful topic next week. Suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

  1. While I will be the first to agree that "growing up" stinks, I am sorry you've been down in the dumps lately. :( I hope you are able to get out of them soon.
    I like your explanation for giving songs a chance. I am the same way with a lot of things.
    Though it's been a while, I've listened to "Bee Of The Bird Of The Moth" several times in the computer lab on campus and I kind of liked it. It's kind of catchy.
    Heard "S-E-X-X-Y" for the first time today while listening to the present you sent me and found it amusing in parts. Probably won't ever be a favorite, but it's not bad.
    I have to be in the mood for "Stompbox". Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's creepy and sometimes I don't really have any feelings toward it.
    I know what you mean about the spoken word aspect. But I like "E Eats Everything" anyway. Again, not a favorite.
    And I completely agree with you on the "John Lee Supertaster". A mood issue, again.

    The others I guess I haven't heard yet. Except for maybe "Employee Of The Month". Maybe. Is it the one that starts out, "I'll be in the back, and I don't need your help. I'm good here in the back, I'm good all by myself"? I really like that one, if so. Wait, maybe it's "Memo To Human Resources". I don't remember. Aak, writing too much again!

    ReplyDelete