Thursday, September 15, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 304

Today's song is...


Old Pine Box


I just talked about this one in my album review, and like I said, this one is all about the percussion for me. The tambourine, the clicky rhythm at the beginning, the drum roll in the bridge. And even though it's really simple, I really like the contrast of the kick drum beat under that drum roll. I was really curious when I was first listening to the song, if it was possible for someone to keep up both those rhythms at the same time with two different parts of their body or if it was two different tracks. I'm leaning towards the two tracks as Marty hasn't been playing both rhythms live. And man, I love those handclaps. And I love all the sharp consonants in the lyrics. I've been kind of fascinated to see how Marty tackles getting all the percussion sounds into the song live. It's a combination of the electronic pad and the actual drums. And he actually puts his tambourine on top of the hi-hat and then uses the pedal action to get the tambourine sound. Clever. Very clever. And of course, very pretty guitar.

2 comments:

  1. Someone on Twitter (I think Valerie?) called it a quintessential Flans song when the EP came out, and it really is. "You pulled the fire alarm, you tried punching a cop. You're just too tired to stop" is quickly becoming one of my favorite TMBG lyrics. And I do not normally care about chord structures, but I've fallen in love with the guitar progression in this one. Fantastic song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite of the 4-song preview, and my 4th favorite song of the album. And the effect this song has on me is such a unique interaction of all of its curious parts that there's not much more I can say about it.

    ReplyDelete