Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Happy They Day everyone!

Please allow me a few moments at the beginning of this entry to totally squee.

A few weeks ago, Danny sent me a message on Facebook asking permission to use one of the photos I had taken of him in an upcoming newspaper interview he was giving about the band's Long Island show this coming weekend. I, of course, said yes (and engaged in a moderate amount of fangirlish freakout).

I didn't say anything about it here at the time because I wasn't sure anything would come of it. But, sure enough, the interview appeared in today's issue of the Port Washington Patch online, complete with not just one but two pictures by yours truly.

http://portwashington.patch.com/articles/speaking-with-the-band-danny-weinkauf-of-they-might-be-giants

I will admit that the photo quality isn't great, especially on the second one, (I did offer to send him higher resolution versions than the ones on Facebook but I never heard back and I didn't know which ones he wanted to use) but that is greatly overshadowed by the thrill of seeing my photos in print (so to speak).

I was especially curious to see which picture he chose and was very pleased that he selected one of my favorites for the primary picture. I've always loved that shot of Danny hypnotizing the audience with the spiraling purple lighting and it is one of my very earliest shots of the band in a collection that now includes thousands. It's a nice contrast to the other very recent picture from the Life is Good Festival a few weeks ago (which really is a much nicer picture than that version would lead you to believe).

I am extremely flattered that Danny chose to use my pictures out of all the gadgillions of photos of him that are out there in the world. He really is just the nicest guy on Earth :-)

If you're interested here is a better quality version of the second photo included with the interview. Also, I couldn't help thinking, while reading the part where he says that people who attend both the family and rock shows are usually in the front rows, "yup, that's me!"

TMBG 9/12/10 #5


Since I have photography on the brain tonight, I'm using that as the basis for Audience Participation as well. What are some of your favorite pictures you have taken of the band? Hunting down live concert photos after a show is one of my favorite past times and I know I've looked on shots many of you have produced in awe. My very favorite concert shots were all taken by other people, many of whom I know are reading this. But I'm curious which ones you are particularly proud of? Posting links in the comments seems to work best for photo sharing.

If you want to participate but don't have any pictures of your own, I'd be very interested to see which of my photos are your favorites. I know which ones I prefer but I am always curious to see what appeals to others.

I've probably shared these a million times already, but these are a few of my favorite moments I've captured.


This is the shot I discussed above. It really is one of my long time favorites.

1/31/09b #3


There is something about the expression in this one.

5/30/09 #37


Curt, looking blown away as he blows us away.

6/12/09 #14


Ralph may have only been with the band for one tour but he was a great subject.

TMBG 10/8/09 #57


I have so few really good pictures of Marty and the resolution on this one is crummy but I do enjoy it.

TMBG 10/10a #9


One of my rare shots of multiple band members.

TMBG 10/10/09b #33


This is one of my two all time favorite Linnell pictures. I really like the lighting.

TMBG 3/7/10 #2


Seems fitting that one of my favorite shots of Danny is from the show I got to meet him.

TMBG 3/11/10 #21


This one never fails to make me giggle.

TMBG 5/23/10a #2


I think as it stands, this may be my second all time favorite picture.

TMBG 6/11/10 #4


This is the other Linnell shot, as much for the story as for the picture.

TMBG 6/12/10 #4


I don't know why it always turns out that all my best pictures are of Flans.

TMBG 9/12/10 #3


I actually kind of adore this one and I don't know why.

TMBG 9/12/10 #23


I only have 15 bazillion pictures of Danny from this show but this was the winner.

TMBG 9/25/10 #2


The most recent of the bunch where Flans puts his thumb in his eye.

TMBG 9/26/10b #1


And this will probably remain, forever more, the best picture I have ever taken.

5/30/09 #55


I have a life goal to get what I consider a "perfect" shot of each member of the band. I've already nailed Flans and Dan. I've come close with Linnell and Danny but I know I can do better. And Marty, I'll probably be working on for years to come.

I look forward to seeing your favorites.

4 comments:

  1. Arrrrrrgh, I just had links to several of your pictures listed and a fairly long comment typed and I accidentally clicked the "back" button because I had been doing so on your flickr page and forgot where I was!
    Anyway, that took me forever and I feel too ADHD to do it again right now, but I do love the ones you've posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have no pictures of my own because the one show I've been to (which was exactly one year ago today!) had those blasted "absolutely no cameras" signs posted everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking nostalgically about all the shows on our road trip last year as the days go by this week. I wish we had connected earlier so we could have met at that show instead of watching it unknowing from different sections of the room.

    Sorry about your posting troubles :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Yes, so do I. I'm sure I looked at the back of your head at some point. :P I remember specifically observing the front row people because I figured they were the most dedicated fans there and I wondered what they were like. And I remember Flans fist-bumping a couple of people during "Drink!" and I wondered how many times those people had been fist-bumped over the years. :]

    ReplyDelete