Monday, October 4, 2010

Bucket List

Back to my regularly scheduled blog entries for a few weeks until the next show weekend.

One of the highlights of the shows last weekend was finally crossing off Purple Toupee from my list of songs I've never heard live. Partly, because it is a great song and I did really want to hear it, and partly because I knew that hearing it was one of my friend Stacy's life goals. To date, I can't remember ever being so excited when they started playing a song (of course there was some horror in there too, since Stacy wasn't there the first night they played it but that was rectified the next day).

With that song off the list, it got me thinking about songs that are still on it. Mind you, I will always be excited to hear ANY song I have never heard before. It is becoming a rarer occurrence with every show. And I can hardly complain because I've heard 156 different songs played live which I know is more than most fans get in a life time. But there are a few songs that are still on my bucket list of favorites that I would like a shot at before my time is through.

I don't bother hoping for songs they've never played live before. I prefer to keep my dreams slightly tangible. Though I can make an convincing argument for how cute Nine Bowls of Soup would be live.

So here it is. My Bucket List of Songs I'd Love to Hear Live Before I Drop Dead.


10. (She Was A) Hotel Detective - Preferably with Linnell on sax. Chalk this one up to "Never gonna happen" but I can dream.

9. Bangs - This is really just another step in my pursuit of eventually hearing all of the songs on the Dial-A-Song collection live. Which will of course ultimately be thwarted by Stormy Pinkness and Dr. Evil.

8. AKA Driver - One of my favorite songs from John Henry that I never talk about. Actually a John Henry show would be pretty much the best possible scenario for me.

7. Certain People I Could Name - The topic of Dream Setlists came up on the forum and this was on my list. I'm not sure why I picked it but I'm sticking with it.

6. Working Undercover for the Man - I just want the chance to sing "Sha-la-la-la-la"

5. A Self Called Nowhere - This would be so spectacular live. With horns.

4. Rhythm Section Want Ad - I just want to see Linnell tackle this one. And I LOVE the song.

3. Destination Moon - This is one of my most favorite songs that I haven't heard live. There are very, very few from my Top 25 list left and this is one of them.

2. They'll Need a Crane - Again, put this in the "highly unlikely" category. But seriously, They'll Need a Crane!

1. And finally, and you all knew this was coming, I would give up ever hearing another new song live, not to mention my right arm, MY ACTUAL RIGHT ARM, the one I write with and everything,  for the chance to hear:

MAN, IT'S SO LOUD IN HERE


If the band ever hears my plea and plays that song, I will audibly scream, gape wilding at them while they play and then probably pass out from the shock. That, right there, would be the best gift they could ever give me. Sadly, though, I'm not holding my breath.

3 comments:

  1. Yes to all those songs, especially AKA Driver and Hotel Detective. I got so excited at Mohegan when Flans started playing the riff. And I would attend a show anywhere in the world if they promised it was a John Henry show. Even Australia. I'd be there.

    A few of mine, not including repeats off your list (all of which I'd love to hear too):

    1. Narrow Your Eyes

    2. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head

    3. Lie Still, Little Bottle (bonus points with the Stick!)

    4. On The Drag (hasn't been played since 2003 but I can dream, I guess)

    5. See The Constellation

    6. Sleeping In The Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I direct you to a tumblr post I wrote about this topic?

    Here.

    Sure, some are rarer than others... but still...

    And I've never seen Linnell play sax or clarinet, so I'm completely jealous of anyone that has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen every song mentioned in this entry performed live, with the lone exception of Stormy Pinkness. Same goes for Megan's list. :-P

    ReplyDelete