Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Insert Clever Name Here

(I am making up for my late post on Monday with a super early post today.)

Welcome to the first entry in the Photo Wednesdays series. I really need a good, clever name for this project. Anybody got any good ideas?

In case you missed the introductory post on Monday, the plan is to post a photo each Wednesday that somehow depicts or represents a lyric from a They Might Be Giants song (or the whole song in some cases). I'll post some of my own entries but the idea is for you, the readers, to submit photos for me to post.

They can be elaborately staged art pieces or just a shot you snap with your cell phone (as long as it is clear enough to tell what it is a picture of). They can be literal interpretations or abstract. Pretty much sky's the limit.

Only rules are that the photos must be taken by you (you can't submit stuff by other people that you find on the internet or wherever), no nudity or vulgar content, make sure you have permission to photograph what you are photographing (if you need it) and no Photoshopping except to improve picture quality (because that spoils all the fun).

To submit a photo send me an email at theroommustlistentome@gmail.com with a link to your photo on Photobucket, Flickr, Twitpic or whatever your favorite photo site is (as long as they allow embedding). Include the lyric/song that you are referencing and tell me how you'd like to be credited (name, screen name, etc). Feel free to include an explanation I can post too if you think people might not "get it."

And that's it. Now for the introductory post. It's a bit of a silly one, staged by my boyfriend and photographed by me. I think it will get things started on a lighthearted note.


Smiling Yellow Face

"There's a face at the window, a smiling yellow face."
"There's a nut with a shotgun - bang, bang, bang. There's a doctor, a waitress, a fireman with a hat. There's a nut with a gun."   ---  When It Rains It Snows, They Might Be Giants

4 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a great idea!! I'm excited about it. And that photo is adorable. I need to come up with something asap! (And I'll think about title suggestions.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea. I don't have anything prepared (yet) but here's a little something that I cropped from one of my tmbgfanpics postings. Probably not for you to actually post here, but just for lulz.
    http://robotchicken.org/WYEDG.jpg

    You could call it "The LyrPic Project", maybe.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, that picture is amusing. He looks like a cartoon character that just got hit in the head making his eyes roll around.

    I am seriously enjoying tmbgfanpics, by the way. I don't think I will ever get tired of pictures of these guys.

    And I look forward to seeing anything either of you come up with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, these are ridiculous, but here are the title suggestions I've attempted to come up with so far:


    They Might Be Illustrations

    Visual Aid

    Which Describes How They’re Singing

    See The Hands Of My Readers Making Photos

    Put Their Lyrics In The Photo Game

    Make A Photo Apply Perpendicular(ly) To The Words Of A Song In A Bluebird’s Blog

    Visual Versions Of Vigilantly Vocalized Verses



    Haha. *sigh..*
    Anyway, I really like your idea for this. And your picture, even though I don't know the song! :D

    ReplyDelete