Thursday, March 25, 2010

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

Sparked by a few of the conversations we had while on our recent trip, I have been pondering the evolution of a fan. Specifically, how ones view of a live show changes as you pass by your first few shows, travel through your middle 20 or so and on into the upper 50s.

In the beginning, everything is new. You get really excited when they play your favorite songs. Everything the guys say and do on stage is unique to you even if it's a part of the show they've done twenty or thirty times. You don't know any of the other fans. You don't get the best spot to stand because you don't know where that spot is. (And if you are anything like me and aren't actually familiar with the band before your first show, you spend half the time trying to remember which John is which and just how many of them are actually called Dan.)

By the time you get into the teens and 20s in your shows, you've past all that. Now your still excited that they play your favorite song but you're actually more excited when they play something you haven't heard live yet. You may actually even discover new favorites because the live version is so awesome. You know all the regular bits and while most of them still make you laugh, you probably find some little off-hand comment even more funny. You've probably made a few friends in the crowd by now and recognize a half dozen others from the internet that you've never spoken to. You are getting pretty good at finding the best spot, until they move the stage set-up around on you. And not only can you tell the band apart by now (I hope) but you're starting to get familiar with their personalities and tune into their dynamics. You may even have met one or two of them when you chased them down to sign stuff, depending on how brave you are.

Then eventually you reach a point, probably somewhere in the 30s or 40s, where you realize you have actually gotten tired of some particular song. You rarely hear anything you haven't heard live before anymore but you've grown to love a few things you never thought you would. You can recite some of the jokes by heart but there is always, ALWAYS some new banter to make you laugh. At some point you will look down the stage and realize you know every single person all the way down the row and some of them are your best friends. You can now have extended conversations about the virtues of the left side of the stage versus the right but have come to realize that there is no bad spot as long as you are in front. And by now you have gotten to know the band so well (at least their stage personas anyway) that every show is like a get together with old friends. And you know what? Whether you realize it or not, they probably know you too.

I realize this probably isn't exactly the same for everyone. The process can be greatly accelerated if you are hanging out with people who are already 10 or 15 shows ahead of you, or heck, if you spend a lot of time watching YouTube. We've also been speculating that somewhere out there, there is probably some guy who doesn't use the internet and always stands in back that no one ever notices but he's actually been to about 850 shows since 1982.

My basic point is you notice different things the longer you watch. Early on you're focused on the music and the stage banter and what they are going to play next. By the 45th time you hear Particle Man, you are probably more likely to notice a particular expression that always appears on Linnell's face when he sings a certain line, or the way Danny uses his thumb to play the bass rhythm. It's things like this that will always keep me going back. Because no matter how many times I've heard Particle Man there is always something going on on stage that I haven't noticed before. It's like watching your favorite movie. You can watch it 30 times and still see something you hadn't noticed.

I had a moment in Charlotte, where I suddenly realized that instead of hearing the song as a whole, I was hearing all of the instruments individually in my head. It was like someone had separated out all the tracks for me and I was realizing for the first time that the bass line followed the keyboard part and the drum was on the back beat. I know that is totally not how you are supposed to hear music in a live venue; the whole point is that the instruments are supposed to blend. And I'm sure I was influenced by the amount of time I have spent lately, concentrating too hard on separating tracks in my head to discern different instruments in order to fill in credit pages on TMBW. But it was, oddly, a very zen moment for me.

No really, what is the point of all this rambling, you are wondering?

Well I've been wanting to spark some conversations with top ten lists (or five or seven or twenty, however many you can think of) but I didn't want to start with something so pedestrian as favorite songs or albums or what not. So I am starting with moments. I am narrowing down a show into ten second flashes. The little instants that I anticipate as much as my favorite song. This may sound weird, but seeing these little things again and again is what makes me feel like a capital letter FAN, more than the 48 times I've heard Istanbul.

So here we go, my favorite minute (give or take) of a They Might Be Giants show:

(I should probably note that not all of these things all happen at every show as several of them depend on a specific song being played. Also they aren't really in a particular order.)

11. (Honorable mention since it doesn't happen often) Any time Dan finds something crazy to climb on the play the solo at the end of Fingertips, be it the balcony, the bar or just a giant stack of speakers. I also love watching him try to get down.

10. The moment in Older after Linnell sings "Time" and then launches the confetti canon, when they all freeze and watch the confetti fall before continuing.

9. The false ending on Istanbul where Flans plays while balancing on one foot with the other stuck out at the crowd.

8. The first keyboard riff in Withered Hope. Ba-damp Ba-damp Ba-damp Ba-damp Ba-damp Ba-damp Ba-dump Ba-daaaaamp.

7. The beat of silence in Letterbox.

6. The absolutely crazed look on Marty's face as he "wrecks his best shit" at the end of his drum solo. I scream myself horse every time.

5. Guatelmalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. 'Nough said.

4. Dan's guitar intro to Istanbul. I know this is longer than 10 seconds but I love the whole thing. If I had to narrow it down to 10 seconds I'd pick the last 10 when his hand is moving so fast you can barely see it.

3. Danny's leap in the air on the "I am a real worm" line in Doctor Worm just after the slow part.

2. Linnell jumping up and down during The Guitar, while still playing the keyboard.

1. The music just after "But I am" in Birdhouse before the lyrics pick up again. More headbanging and bouncy than anything else out there.


I can think of about a dozen more but those are the ones I'm going with. Now it's your turn to share. Post comments. Get this discussion started. We've got to do something to keep us busy until the next show :-)

12 comments:

  1. This is a good list! I love the confetti canons, always. I love Linnell's stage mannerisms, especially when he closes his eyes and tilts his head, or when he goes up on his toes. I love how Flans holds his guitar in one hand, just waving it around, during Drink! Or other songs that he doesn't play for. But I think my favourite thing about going to so many shows is that now Iggy waves at me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful concept. Mine are probably a lot more pedestrian than yours because of the relatively low number of shows I've been to, but:

    1. The music just after "but I am" on Birdhouse gets me every time, too. I get chills when I hear it.

    2. The weird descending thing Linnell does during the slow part on Doctor Worm, where he puts his hand above his head at the beginning and brings it down a little with every line? I love that.

    3. I love Flans and his leg sticking out at the end of Istanbul, too. I can think of two specific instances (Charlotte and Northampton) where I leaned back a little because I was afraid he was going to kick me in the face doing it.

    4. When Linnell sings "my friend Rabbi Flans" during Doctor Worm.

    5. Ad-libbing is always fun, but the ad-libbing during Fingertips is especially awesome to me. Flans on I'm Having A Heart Attack gets me every time. ("Girl you know it's true, H-E-A-R-T attack to you, girl...")

    6. Dan's face during the "ahhh" part of Meet The Elements.

    7. Any time Flans looks at Dan when they're singing backup together so he can figure out when he's supposed to come in.

    8. Linnell's occasional confusion over what key they're in/where he comes in/what instrument he plays on the next song. ("I come in on the fourth...? The second. I'm sorry I have to ask you that, Marty.")

    9. Like the previous commenter said, Flans just sort of holding his guitar and waving it around when he's singing but not playing.

    10. "Aww, shit, clap your hands!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My list is composed of moments that I have caught on video over the years. Hope you like it.

    10. James K. Polk Confetti Cannon - When the confetti was fired off, way back when it was new and a really big deal and front row enthusiasts attempted to frame the cannon with their outstretched arms.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR2PrKQbGUQ

    9. Hideaway Folk Family Scream - When the audience is instructed to "scream as if you're in hell" for the entire bridge. Our throats were scratchy for the remainder of the show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uODODGSOsn4

    8. Dr. Worm Backwards Singing - Fake backwards singing. Need I say more?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiNMyscrUaw

    7. Deeply Felt Puppet Theater - Puppets, when they weren't as cheap and sockish.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25FWALEZRgU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnbqf59rDg

    6. Dan Miller Spotlight - When Solder is goaded by Flansburgh into showing off his mad skillz.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYEFLXD2xJ4

    5. Famous Polka Guitar Share - When Flansburgh offers up his guitar to the front row.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXWY96O6bg (Bowery Ballroom)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6FqJJY08jc (Stone Pony)

    4. Kids Play Guitar - A new generation of TMBG fans get to grope the guitar!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VZangua8g8 (Princeton, NJ)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIPMYVz0rW4 (American Museum of Natural History)

    3. Calls From Beyond The Grave - Probably the funniest reoccurring bit I've seen them do. I even resurrected the John Lindsay video specifically for this list!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoro8W4GNo (John Lindsay)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpqvBXLkpg (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGbGZqMWN9M (Uncle Sam)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPQMkM6oXOQ (William Carlos Williams)

    2. Fibber Island Flubber Ending - When they perform their whimsical live ending to Fibber Island, which then became the segue into a wacky Monkees cover.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8yNdlxv3RA (Southpaw - Just The Flubbery Goodness)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLy0dMQCR7A (Tarrytown Music Hall)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWVVaLmBao (American Museum of Natural History)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBMjJfuRXe0 (Union County MusicFest)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd5nT5m_ndk (Celebrate Brooklyn!)

    1. Youngest Stage Crasher Ever - This is a unique moment that happened during Fibber Island at Celebrate Brooklyn!, linked above. I simply cannot watch this video without cracking up. Where were this kid's parents?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these lists are awesome guys! So many things I read and went "I love that part too!"

    TDK: I wish I had video documentation of all my favorite moments. I was there for that stage crash. It was hilarious! And I got to hear one Phone Calls from the Dead before they stopped doing it, with Eleanor Roosevelt. I shall now spend the rest of today watching these awesome vids.

    M: I had a couple of your things on my list but changed them. Specifically Dan's Meet the Elements face but I realized that, oddly, my list was too Dan heavy and swapped it. That face is priceless.

    obsessivenormalcy: Iggy is the man!

    Keep the lists coming people, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, once I started trying to make a list it was actually pretty difficult! It's so tough to narrow it all down to ten specific awesome moments. :) I also had to share a few with you guys because I'm in full agreement, and because I'm so late in posting that you beat me to them! Here's my somewhat haphazard list, (for the moment anyway.) Counting down!

    10. Flans offering his guitar to the front row so we can all get a taste of the rock-n-roll glory.

    9. Linnell’s intense cowbell playing during "Take Out the Trash"

    8. Sock Puppets!!! Yay!!!

    7. Most frequently at the shows with the triceratops horns, that moment when the trio comes downstage center before a new song starts and I KNOW they're about to play "Withered Hope."

    6. Flans’s improvisational adult talk during "I’m Having A Heart Attack" in "Fingertips." ("I’m a Transformer for your love." "L-O-V-E love to YOU, girl!" "And if I die before we FREAK!")

    5. GUUAATEEMAAALLAAAAAAA!!!!!!! (Obvs.)

    4. The fingers-to-lips silliness during the last little bit of “Fibber Island,” right after they fake everyone out by shouting, "Everybody!"

    3. Linnell jumping up and down at the keyboard during "The Guitar." (Which I think we ALL agree is just about the greatest thing in the world.)

    2. A specific moment: The first time I saw them play “Subliminal,” at the Le Poisson Rouge in NY when they were arms length away from me and I had my hand over my mouth in awe the whole time.

    1. Every single time one of the Johns makes the other laugh. This is inevitable at every show, of course. My favorites of these moments are the ones where Flans messes up the lyrics to something, or switches the order of the verses of a song, etc. Whenever this happens I immediately look over at Linnell and he’s ALWAYS grinning and/or laughing.

    This was a great idea! Keep the audience participation blogs coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahahaha, I forgot Linnell's intense cowbell-playing on Take Out The Trash! I came back to add Flans' falsetto, especially during the intro to Graveyard. "There comes a part of the shoooww, PEOPLE there comes a part of the shooow where you gotta say the names of the baaaand."

    And Flans messing up and Linnell laughing, yes yes yes! I also love it when Linnell messes up and just sort of shakes his head and laughs at himself -- in October at the Egg he kept messing up Your Racist Friend and finally just pointed at Flans and let him sing the rest of the verse. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flan's falsetto IS the best! That's a good one. I also enjoy the falsetto he added to "Why Does the Sun Shine?" and the fact that they recorded it that way for Here Comes Science. :)

    I was AT that show at The Egg!! Yay!! I think they've messed up Racist Friend hardcore every single time I've seen them play it. They either don't sing the same words or someone switches a verse or something else goes wrong. Pretty funny! I had forgotten about that moment at The Egg. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, as I've only been to one show, I can't really participate in this particular list-making activity. But this is by far my favorite blog entry (and replies) I've read of yours yet. :D So if I were to make a list of top-whatevers regarding Blue Canary Blog Entries, this one would be on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, thanks Jaime! I'm gonna do the next entry on a topic more on the recorded music side of things so it should be a little more accessible to readers who haven't been to a ton of shows. I just haven't decided which of a couple of idea to do first. :-)

    P.S. I think you totally get to count that festival performance in your show attendance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :)
    Woohoo! You should make it strangely specific. Just a suggestion. :}

    And..what??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoops. Never mind. I temporarily confused you with someone else I had recently been talking to about the band. My bad.

    I'll try to come up with something good for the next topic. Favorite songs that begin with R?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh..sorry.

    And yes, something like THAT! :D

    ReplyDelete